Zencrack can be applied in any industry in which knowledge of crack behaviour, crack growth prediction and residual life calculation are important issues, e.g.:
- power generation.
Within any of these industries, a fracture mechanics analysis may be used in many different situations, e.g.
- post-failure and accident investigations
- forensic studies
- parametric studies of different crack sizes in a component
- leak before break studies
- design of experiments
- generation of failure assessment diagrams
- determination of -
- the residual life of a component with a known flaw size and load history
- the maximum crack size for a given life
- NDT inspection periods
- repair scenarios
- threshold crack size for a given cyclic load.
On a task-based or component level the potential use of the software is almost unlimited. Typical applications include:
- assessing residual life
- life extension
- damage tolerance assessment
- reliability analysis
- development of new materials
- elastic and plastic analysis to show interaction between ductile and brittle failure (i.e. failure assessment diagram methodology)
- engine disks and blades and their dovetail connections
- power generation components, e.g. high pressure waterbox
- pipeline defects and connections, e.g. tee, sweepolet connections
- rail tracks
- welded connections
- rubber components
- high temperature creep Ct integral evaluation
- adhesive bonded patch repairs
- maintenance scheduling.